Here are the top 10 ways to find FREE Wi-Fi anywhere you go!
1. Know your surroundings - There are tons of local businesses in your area that have free Wi-Fi, like McDonald’s and Starbucks. There are also certain hotels and smaller chains that gift free Wi-Fi. Become familiar with these places and remember them. Also check out this link for a list of unexpected places that have Wi-Fi. http://lifehacker.com/5691407/how-to-get-free-wi+fi-practically-anywhere
2. WeFi – Wefi is a website that will literally point out on a map, similar to Google maps, places that have free Wi-Fi. WeFi is also available in a smart phone app for iPhone and Android so you are never without WeFi.
3. Hidden Networks – Even if you aren’t near a documented hot spot, there are smart phone apps that can help you sniff out the hidden ones! These hidden hot spots include electronics stores and airports.
4. Browse the right sites – Some sites won’t give you full access to the internet, but if you are searching for Wi-Fi just to pass the time, then this could be a good option. For example, Delta airlines offers free in-flight Wi-Fi, but it only gives you access to certain sites like Amazon, WSJ, and People Magazine. This might not help you with your email, but it can give you internet access for free.
5. Loyalty Programs – Join loyalty programs, especially at your favorite hotels. These are a good option because loyalty programs generally don’t cost anything out of your pocket. We do suggest a strong spam blocker on your email account though, as these loyalty programs usually provide you with free perks, such as free Wi-Fi, at the price of spamming your inbox with their latest promotions and deals. Or, simply have a separate email address for loyalty programs such as these.
6. Coupons – Finding coupon codes for free Wi-Fi minutes at certain places is easier than you might think. Websites like www.retailmenot.com are a great source for coupon codes for Wi-Fi and much more.
7. MAC spoofing – This tactic is reserved for those who are more technologically savvy. Many Wi-Fi hotspots give you free access, but only for a few minutes or hours. To get around this you can simply spoof your MAC address, visit this site to learn how: http://lifehacker.com/5916339/circumvent-wi+fi-time-limits-at-coffee-shops-by-spoofing-your-mac-address
8. Cable Company Wi-Fi – You might be surprised to find that if you have cable internet at home, your provider probably gives you access to all of their Wi-Fi hotspots around town. This is especially true if you have Time Warner or Cox providers. Check your provider’s website to see if they provide this free Wi-Fi perk.
9. Tether your phone – If you have a Smartphone, tethering your phone is one of the more obvious ways to get Wi-Fi literally wherever you go. It is easy to tether your Wi-Fi connection from your iPhone or Android phone, but you will have to prepare your phone beforehand (usually this means jail breaking your phone).
10. Hacking – When all else fails, hacking into your preferred Wi-Fi hotspot is always an option, however it is always illegal. We do not recommend utilizing this option, but it is always an option.
*WARNING* Whenever you log into and use a public Wi-Fi network, you are subjecting all of your personal data to the public. Please be aware of this and keep your information safe and secure.
Sources: Life Hacker